Turkey and mushroom leftover Christmas pie
Bored of the yearly turkey sandwiches? Transform your Christmas Day leftovers with this delicious, super simple pie to serve four.
If you’re eschewing the traditional cold cut buffet this Boxing Day, we have just the recipe to take your Christmas leftovers from bland to brilliant – plus, it’s much easier than it looks (always a bonus in my book). All you’ll need is any turkey and veg you’ve saved from the big day, plus some extra tatties and mushrooms. You can thank us later.
- 250g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 25g butter
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 300ml semi-skimmed milk
- 400ml chicken stock
- 300g crème fraiche
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 500g cooked turkey meat, sliced into bitesize chunks
- 600g cooked veg (carrots, sprouts, swede, squash, courgette, peas, cauliflower, etc)
- 10 roast potatoes, sliced
- 50g cheddar cheese
- Olive oil, drizzle
- Preheat the oven to 180c/160c fan.
- Melt the butter in a deep frying pan and add the onion. Cook over a gentle heat, stirring constantly until the onion is just soft.
- Add the mushrooms and continue stirring until the mushrooms are just cooked. Add the garlic and flour and carry on cooking for another minute before adding the milk and stock, a little at a time, stirring to avoid lumps.
- Stir in the crème fraiche, bay leaves and thyme and season well. Add the turkey and vegetables. Transfer to an oven proof dish.
- Lay over the sliced potatoes, sprinkle over the cheese and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until hot and bubbling.