Muddy Stilettos first tottered into the world in Summer 2011 as a bit of fun. As a national journalist (Independent on Sunday, Observer, Red, Marie Claire, Elle, The Telegraph) who had moved out of London to the rural Bucks/Oxon borders, the idea was a simple one: to write a witty but indispensable guide to the very best restaurants, walks, boutiques, day trips, hotels, interiors and events I came across in the local counties and in doing so, perk up my social life.
I immediately knew how I wanted to write Muddy Stilettos. No advertorial. No PR guff. Upbeat honesty. Everything checked out by me personally, with the focus on the exceptional, the interesting, the quirky.
In Nov 2012 the blog turned into a business, and three years on, Muddy Bucks/Oxon has become so successful that it has moved into 13 further counties – Berkshire, Cambs, Cornwall, Devon, Glos, Hants, Herts, Kent, Northants, Somerset, Surrey, Sussex with Warwickshire and Leics to follow more to follow in February 2017.
What you can expect from Muddy Stilettos:
This is the Muddy Mantra, so you know what to expect from the blog:
- I try everything out myself so that you can fully trust my opinions. On the occasions that I haven’t been somewhere myself (for example, an event that hasn’t happened yet – um, I’m not a miracle worker) I let you know about it. Occasionally guest editors will review and these will be clearly marked as such
- Muddy Stilettos is a commercial blog and as such accepts advertising. However, we believe passionately in only working with brands that share our ethos and are relevant to our readers. We retain editorial control and independence at all times.
- I will never accept payment to write about something I don’t believe in.
- I accept tickets to free shows, festivals, restaurants, events etc with the purpose of reviewing or publicising them on Muddy Stilettos, as I’m sure you appreciate it’s pretty expensive zipping around trying stuff out all the time. Hotels, restaurants, cafes, bars – if you want me to try you out, please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org or via twitter @muddystiletto
- I’ll never write a nasty review. I’m not into trashing people, brands or companies. BUT if you’re not good enough, I will not write about you in Muddy Stilettos, regardless of whether I have paid for the experience or not. This gives me the editorial control I need and the trust that my readers demand.
I hope you love the blog. Please tell your friends about it, and sign up for my splendiferous free posts delivered to your inbox to be the first to know about all the cool stuff happening in your area!